Greetings from Franklin Elementary!
To our Franklin community of students, families and staff members,
As the new principal of Franklin Elementary, it is my pleasure to extend a warm welcome to you all as we approach the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.
Working throughout the summer has afforded me the opportunity to start familiarizing myself with our school, community and staff. One thing that became very crystallized during this time is the gratitude I feel to have the opportunity to be the principal at this wonderful school. As I talk with staff members and parents about the school, it is clear to me that we have a very proud school community here with hard-working teachers and classified staff members, a very involved and supportive PTA, and an overwhelming sense of community and belonging. I am honored to join the staff in serving our Franklin school community. I am proud of and will honor the great work, progress and traditions that have been started here at Franklin, while striving to help us grow further along the way as we develop in our inclusive and instructional practices.
If you are new to our school community, we welcome you with open arms and wish you a smooth transition into our community. We are proud of our school and the education we provide. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to call our office at 425-936-2550; Mrs. Sundene and Mrs. Coon will be happy to help you out. You can also find a wealth of resources and the answers to many of your questions on our school website: https://franklin.lwsd.org/
Within the newly established strategic plan of the Lake Washington School District, the theme for our work moving forward is “Elevate”. As stated within the plan: When we Elevate our Purpose, we know where we’re going. When we Elevate our Practice, we get better along the way. By committing to the values that will shape our future, we will play our vital role in helping our students to become future ready.
A few important dates to share as we prepare for the start of the school year:
- Kindergarten parents are invited to attend Kindergarten Orientation the evening of Wednesday, August 28th. We look forward to meeting with our kinder families in the Franklin commons at 6:00 p.m.
- Our annual Meet & Greet will take place on Thursday, August 29th from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m., where students and families can meet their teachers and see their classrooms. Families and students will be introduced to their new teachers via email on the afternoon of Monday, August 26th.
- First day of school for 1st-5th grade students is Tuesday, September 3rd.
- First day of school for Kindergarten students is Friday, September 6th.
- Welcome Back Tea (hosted by our wonderful PTA) will take place on Friday, September 6th at 9:20 a.m.
- Our PTA Fall Family BBQ is scheduled for Friday, September 13th from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on the school playground. Thank you to the PTA for hosting this community event.
- Our annual Fundraiser Kick-off is slated for Wednesday, September 18th. The Franklin Warrior Run Fundraiser is scheduled for Wednesday, October 2nd.
- Curriculum Night is scheduled to take place on Thursday, September 19th at 6:00 p.m.
I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible over the next few weeks and the rewarding work ahead!
Together in learning,
Principal, Ben Franklin Elementary